environmental blog based in Lakewood, Ohio

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love Hookers?

Hahah. No really, in honor of studying for my environmental politics exam, this post is going to be dealing with the incident at Love Canal.

First, let me tell a little about myself, because I failed to do so in my first post.
My name is Michelle, and my life consists of school and Starbucks. I'm majoring in sustainability and have a minor in psychology. What do I want to do with my degree? I have no idea. But I know I love my internship. I've been interning/volunteering at the Lake Erie Nature & Science Center for nine months. There, I help out in the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. I also know I love my job at Starbucks. I'm a shift supervisor there, and I make really good money for someone my age, I get good benefits, and I love my customers and the people I work with. The only thing is I have to wake up at 3:30am a few days a week.


Okay.. now back to hookers.

Between 1942 and 1952, Hooker Chemical Company dumped 22,000 tons of toxic chemical waste into the Love Canal (named after the man who dug the canal for industrial purposes). Love Canal is located in Niagara Falls, where the toxic waste site was covered in 1952 and the land was sold to the city to build a school on top. The school and homes were built (with basements, which permeated the cement layer originally build on top of the toxic sludge to attempt to hold it in), and, of course, kids got sick. Rashes, respiratory illnesses, and burns from debris were a few issues. Although Hooker Chemical Company warned the city of some of the toxins buried in the ground, the city continued to develop it, and the residents were not warned. It was not until a reporter published a story about it that the citizens had an explanation for all of the illnesses and black goop that permeated their basement walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment